Assistive Technology Devices for Visual and Hearing Impairment — FM System
The FM system comprises a transmitter and a set of receivers to aid hearing impaired students in the mainstream schools to hear better in the classroom.
The application process of FM system is as follows:
- Step 1:School completes application form and email to MOE_Psychological_Services@moe.gov.sg, together with all necessary supporting documents.
- Step 2: If the application is successful, FM supplier will contact the school for an audiological evaluation and fitting of the FM system.
- Step 3: Upon delivery, the FM systems will be considered school property.
Assistive Technology for Visual and Physical Impairment
Assistive technology is also provided to students with visual impairment and physical impairment to enhance their learning in the classrooms. Examples include closed circuit televisions, adapted keyboards, or specialised software.
The application process of AT (excluding FM system) is as follows:
- Step 1: School completes application form and email to MOE_Psychological_Services@moe.gov.sg, together with all necessary supporting documents.
- Step 2: PSB will consider the application on a case-by-case basis. If the application is successful, the school will make the purchases using the school’s funds, and send the invoices to PSB for reimbursement.
- Step 3: PSB reimburses the school. The AT will be considered school property.
FAQs for Assistive Technology
Do the schools or the students need to pay for the assistive technology device?
MOE will pay for the assistive technology.
Who owns the assistive technology? The student or the school?
The assistive technology will be considered the property of the school. The school will make the necessary arrangements for the student to use the assistive technology in school and ensure the safekeeping of the assistive technology device in school.
What happens if repair/replacement is needed? Who bears the cost?
If repair/replacement is needed due to negligence on the school’s part, schools will bear the cost.
If repair/replacement is needed due to wear & tear and/or prolonged use, MOE will bear the cost. Schools will have to inform PSB and provide evidence for approval before proceeding with the repair/replacement.
What happens to the assistive technology device when the student transfers to another mainstream primary, secondary school, or JC/CI? Does the school or student need to reapply for the assistive technology device?
If the student transfers to another mainstream primary, secondary school, or JC/CI, the assistive technology device should be transferred to the child's receiving school so that his/her learning will not be disrupted.
For further clarification, schools can contact Psychological Services Branch (PSB) via email MOE_Psychological_Services@moe.gov.sg.