Physical Proficiency Test
Candidates who are interested in teaching Physical Education (PE) may apply for admission to NIE‘s teacher training programmes, with specialisation in the teaching of PE. They are required to take the Physical Proficiency Test (PPT) which is compulsory, and the Entrance Proficiency Tests (EPT).
The PPT comprises 5 separate tests:
- The first is a short agility run of approximately 17 seconds.
- 2 participants will then rally-play in a game of badminton.
- The third test will be a possession game similar to basketball. 4 offensive players will try to maintain possession of the ball with 2 defenders trying to take it away.
- This will be followed by a gymnastic test which will include a forward and backward roll, a balancing arabesque and a choice of either a cartwheel, headstand or handstand.
- The final test will be a 25 metre swim using any style and at the participant´s own pace.
The fee for taking the test is S$10.70 (including GST). Closer to the test date, registrants will be advised by post on the payment procedure and other details on the test.
The results of the PPT will be indicated in a Statement issued to candidates who have registered for the test. For those who pass, the result will be valid for a period of 2 years. Passing the PPT does not necessarily mean that your application for admission to NIE is successful. It is also dependent on other factors, such as meeting entry requirements.
NIE has rolled out a new scoring system. In order to pass the PPT, applicants are required to score at least 9 points and not fail any of the 5 stations. Failure to sit for the PPT may jeopardise your application as NIE reserves the right not to conduct the test on alternative dates for those who have missed the PPT on the scheduled test date.
For details on the scoring system, test and registration dates, please visit NIE’s Physical Education and Sports Science website.
Physical Proficiency Test Dates
|Test Dates||Registration Period|
|22 March 2013||01 Dec 2012 — 11 Mar 2013|
|17 May 2013||08 Apr 2013 — 06 May 2013|